Thursday 15 October 2009

Footprints - or Buttprints - in the Sand ?!

FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND - By Mary Stevenson, 1936

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints.
Other times there were one set of footprints.
This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life
when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow, or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.
So I said to the Lord, "You promised me, Lord,
that if I followed you, you would walk with me always.
But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of prints in the sand.
Why, when I have needed you most, you have not been there for me?
The Lord replied,
"The times when you have seen only one set of footprints
is when I carried you." (Source)

I'm quite confident that our Lord who invites us all to come to him when the load is heavy can help bear us up (cf. Matthew 11:29-30) and that he did indeed inspire Mary Stevenson to pen such a beautiful poetic reflection. So many people the world over have been inspired by it.

However, I am also sure that my Lord, who cleared the temple and chastised the leaders of the children of God, also inspired the following "companion piece" by an unknown author (as yet - I'm still seeking that out.)

BUTTPRINTS IN THE SAND

One night I had a wondrous dream.
One set of footprints there was seen,
the footprints of my precious Lord,
but mine were not along the shore.

But then some stranger prints appeared
and I asked the Lord, "What have we here?
Those prints are large and round and neat,
but, Lord, they are too large for feet."

"My child," he said in sober tones,
"For miles I carried you alone.
I challenged you to walk in faith,
but you refused and made me wait."

"You disobeyed, you would not grow.
The walk of faith you would not know.
So I got tired, I got fed up,
and there I dropped you on your butt."

Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment