Wednesday 17 March 2010

A Climate For Change?

A few months back I read a Eureka Street article titled "The perverse skills of climate change deniers" - I noticed that a friend of mine (with whom I had never discussed this subject heretofore) had posted these comments:

"I think a contrary view needs to be put. I believe climate change is always with us, but I am increasingly of the view that CO2 is not to blame. Recent empirical evidence (as opposed to computer modelling) indicates that the atmosphere has a negative, not positive feedback effect on CO2 emissions. This would render all the IPCC models inaccurate. We now know that the most respected of IPCC contributors have been guilty of failing the scientific method test (to put it kindly). The new evidence that is emerging surely requires us to maintain an open mind and not apply pejoratives to anyone with an opposing view."

I read a great variety of other opinions expressed at the site, then posted my own comments:

"Dr Rue calls at the end of his article for good sources that help reintegration of theologies of Creation and Redemption. I'd like to offer one for consideration: "A Climate for Change: Global Warming Facts for Faith-Based Decisions" which addresses good questions and straightforward responses to climate change - but without the spin. This book attempts to untangle the complex science and tackles many long-held misconceptions about global warming.

Authored by a climate scientist and a pastor (who are a married couple) "A Climate for Change..." explores the role our Christian faith can play in guiding our choices and shaping our opinions on this crucial global issue/controversy.

I encourage everyone to take the quiz or read preview chapters here!"

-----------------------

Today I noticed "A Climate for Change: Global Warming Facts for Faith-Based Decisions" is now available as a free e-book online here. (And what's really nice is one can select various views depending on personal eyesight needs and preferences!)

The book is divided into FIVE parts, with four or five chapters in each part:
Part 1: What's Going On?
Part 2: Causes
Part 3: Doubts

Part 4: Effects
Part 5: Choices

I think this book is really worth taking the time to digest - and discuss. Some interesting surprises are likely in store for most readers.


Clair

No comments:

Post a Comment